The following articles of the Constitution list and clarify the membership requirements:
16. Members shall
- Have an university degree in naval architecture, marine engineering, industrial engineering, obtained in an Italian university or an equivalent degree of scholarship obtained in a foreign university, officialy recognized by the local Government.
- Be incorporated in a list of chartered engineers/naval architects, officialy recognized by a national Authority
- Exercise the profession of naval architect / marine engineer individually or within a professional association in exclusive or prevalent manner, provided that such possible secondary activity is not deontologically incompatible.
- Have acquired at least ten years of uninterrupted working activity in the naval / maritime industry, of which at least five as independent surveyors.
17. Associate Members shall be those meeting the above requisites with the exception of the minimum period of activity, but who practise the activity of surveyor in prevalent manner.
Associate Members ave the same rights of Members. They can apply for upgrading when all the requirements would be fullfilled. The acceptance of their request is subject to the approval of the Board.
18. To apply for Membership (full or associate), the applicant shall have to be introduced by two Members.
The application has to include sufficient documents to demonstrate fulfilment with the membership requisites and a resumee to describe the professional background and skill.
The Board will examine the applications and if necessary will require a meeting with the applicant to check the fulfillment of requisites.
The application shall be approved by the Board at majority. Decisions of the Board are unobjectonable. The Board has no to justify its decisions whatsoever.